Adding someone to my account that I did not add!

KimmG
New Community Member

Just received this e-mail. My gut is telling me it is a scam. Just wanting to make sure it is.

Dear PayPal Customer,

You have added "Blah Blah"as a new email address for your Paypal account.

If you did not authorize this change, check with family members and others who may have access to your account first. If you still feel that an unauthorized person has changed your email, submit the form attached to your email in order to keep your original email and restore your Paypal account.

NOTE: The form needs to be opened in a modern browser which has javascript enabled (ex: Internet Explorer 7, Firefox 3, Safari 3, Opera 9)

Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We apologize for any inconvenience.

If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choice but to temporary suspend your account.

Sincerely, PayPal Account Review Department.

Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and choose the "Help" link in the footer of any page.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Olivia

Hi KimmG, and welcome to the forums!

You've got a good eye. That is a fake email. You can forward it to spoof@paypal.com and delete it from your inbox.

A big tip-off is the fact that the email addressed you as "Dear PayPal Customer" instead of by your first and last name. Another tip is that the email instructs you to open a program on your computer.

Good job listening to your instincts and not falling for the phishing attempt! For more information about protecting yourself from phishing, check out Your Guide to Phishing.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.