Does Paypall call you on the phone? Or is it a pishing tentative?

Til_M
Contributor
Contributor

I just received a phone call with hidden number, a robot was talking to me in German (my German is quite bad) pretending they're from Paypal, telling me it's about a payment of eight hundred and something and asking me to press 1 for I didn't understand what. I hung up immediately presuming this is a pishing tentative. I have no pending transactions on Paypal, neither payments or incoming. Does anybody know about this kind of calls? Was this pishing?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Meghan

Hello @Til_M

Thanks for joining the PayPal Community; welcome! 

I understand you received a phone call from someone claiming to be a PayPal representative, and I'm sorry to hear about the concern it caused. PayPal Customer Support will occasionally call out to confirm if you made a transaction, but the phone number will never be hidden. It would also be regarding a transaction that you can see on your PayPal account and in a language that matches what you have as your primary language on your PayPal. From what you have mentioned, I do not believe you were speaking with PayPal, and I'm glad you hung up. You can learn more about spotting and reporting phishing on our Help Center here

If it happens again in the future, you can also contact Customer Support directly by selecting 'Contact' at the bottom of any PayPal website. The Customer Support teams will be able to determine if a call was made to you after reviewing your account. 

I hope this helps! 

- Meghan

If you found this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution. While browsing, feel free to reply if you see a question you know the answer to. Our Community Users make the PayPal Community Forum! 

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5
Solved

PayPal_Meghan

Hello @Til_M

Thanks for joining the PayPal Community; welcome! 

I understand you received a phone call from someone claiming to be a PayPal representative, and I'm sorry to hear about the concern it caused. PayPal Customer Support will occasionally call out to confirm if you made a transaction, but the phone number will never be hidden. It would also be regarding a transaction that you can see on your PayPal account and in a language that matches what you have as your primary language on your PayPal. From what you have mentioned, I do not believe you were speaking with PayPal, and I'm glad you hung up. You can learn more about spotting and reporting phishing on our Help Center here

If it happens again in the future, you can also contact Customer Support directly by selecting 'Contact' at the bottom of any PayPal website. The Customer Support teams will be able to determine if a call was made to you after reviewing your account. 

I hope this helps! 

- Meghan

If you found this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution. While browsing, feel free to reply if you see a question you know the answer to. Our Community Users make the PayPal Community Forum! 
Login to Me Too

Til_M
Contributor
Contributor

Hello and thank you for confirming my suspicion. Today I was called again. Same NoCaller Id, when answered, a lady robot saying that an anonymous user is trying to take 699 euros from my account and inviting me to press 1 to secure my account. I hang up, probably after pressing 1 they would try to make me give them info and steal my account credentials. 
I am only writing this to warn people to be very careful.

Login to Me Too

Riddick55
New Community Member

Hello, 

I was also called today by a hidden number, a lady robot saying that an anonymous user is trying to take 699 euros from my account, but i hang up instantly. 

Login to Me Too

Kris4077
New Community Member
Just happened to me too today.
Login to Me Too

Ingrid1967
New Community Member

It just happened to me too, today. Saying about a payment of 600 euro

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.