Large payments made from account of deceased relative months after death

Temp20240423B
New Community Member

My sister died in October of 2021 suddenly. Our mother is next of kin and in January of 2022 gained access to my sister's email accounts, though she did not search through the folders until this week. Upon looking through the folders two emails were found stating payments had been made from my sister's PayPal account after she was already deceased. The payments were made to two different companies, both were over $500, and neither was a payment that'd been scheduled prior to her death. One payment was 6 months after her death, and the other was 10 months after. To our knowledge, by that time all of her financial accounts had been closed by my Mom as the person running her estate info. Because my sister's death was a homicide her cell phone is still being held as evidence so we don't have access to it.  My Mom cannot seem to get PayPal to email a password reset to the email address to be able to log in and check those transactions. The email address has been logged into periodically since January 2022 but not frequently, but it's working because my Mom was able to forward me the transaction emails from the account to see if I could figure out what was happening. They don't appear to be fake emails. The goal is to close the account entirely, since obviously my sister isn't going to be using it, but my Mom doesn't want to submit all of the paperwork for that until she knows this issue is resolved. The concern is that there's an account somewhere she didn't know about so it wasn't closed when everything else was and that somehow remains open and is either being used by someone who shouldn't have access, or it's just been charged randomly and that'd be a debt the estate would have to resolve. Because of the circumstances surrounding her death, and the subsequent legal process involved when there's a homicide, we want to ensure that every end is tied up properly. 

Thanks for any input. 

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.