Paypal Scam transferred funds without my knowledge to an unknown bank account

Temp20240506A
Contributor
Contributor
  • May 4, 2024, 10:44 PM: email sent from paypal
    You asked us to transfer $215.89 USD to your bank account, and we're processing this transaction now.
  • May 5, 2024, 3:15 AM: email sent from paypal
    You added ‪(9**) ***-0156‬. Your phone number helps us reach you quickly and ensures your transactions are more secure.
  • May 6[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]AM: I see the above emails. Remove new phone number, change password, etc. Submit claim to paypal
  • May 6, 2024, 5:48 AM: email from paypal: 

We've completed our review of your unauthorized activity case, and we’ve determined there was no unauthorized use.

Based on our review, we found this transaction is consistent with your PayPal history.

• May 6, 2024, ~6-7 AM: I try going back into the transaction to further the dispute, but it says I need to call (Sorry, we’re not able to change your case type. We request you to call us so we can change it for you.). I call, but of course, don't actually get to speak anyone and they say they'll get back to me with 10 days. 

Is there anything else I can do? The transfer hasn't completed yet (Estimated arrival in bank May 8, 11:59 PM). 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Temp20240506A 

An unauthorized dispute through PayPal can only be approved when it can be determined that you were not the one who logged in to make the transaction. 

So run a virus and malware scan on your computer because PayPal is only able to approve an unauthorized dispute when it is clear someone else logged into your PayPal account.

If someone accessed your device using a virus or malware, then the logins would look like you made them. If you can run a virus and malware scan, it would resecure your device. Afterwards save a report of the scan and provide it to PayPal's Customer Support. They may be able to reopen your unauthorized dispute with that information. You can find the different options for contacting Customer Support here

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Momoky42
Contributor
Contributor
I used Xoom to transfer money to a family members debit card. The transfer was completed successfully. Later the same day a charge to PayPal under my name showed up on their bank account for a few dollars more than the transfer was. I am trying to get the money returned to my family members account which has now been hit with overdraft fees which was the entire reason for the transfer!! Also the money that was deducted has not been returned to my account!! I’m beyond furious with PayPal right now and will never recommend them or use them again!!!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Momoky42 

🤷 ok

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.