Seller provided incorrect value of shipment

amandasimmonds
Contributor
Contributor

Seller provided incorrect cost of item to delivery company(DHL), DHL asked the Seller for the correct value of purchase but seller did not fix so DHL charged me customs based on the incorrect amt of $88US when $36 of this was a shipping fees, I refused to pay the incorrect amt and asked them to fix so i could accurately be charged customs, now since 30 days have passed, DHL have destroyed my item. Paypal ruled in favor of seller, how is this possible, isn't paypal supposed to protect you from this sort of fraud?  

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@amandasimmonds 

Paypal protects you for non receipt of item OR item received but not as described, anything else is between you and the merchant.

You should risk assess your transactions and be very careful if you purchase internationally.

If you purchase within your own country you could take the seller to the small claims court but if its an international seller you can't do that unfortunately. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

amandasimmonds
Contributor
Contributor
That’s exactly it, I did not receive the shipment but the seller told PayPal I did. I DID NOT. PayPal closed my dispute, I am still without my item. PayPal told me to contact seller but the seller does not reply.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@amandasimmonds 

Yes but you are the one responsible for paying any customs fees as you are the one importing the item into your country.

You refused to pay the customs fee so you didn't receive the item.

Paypal would see that and as it was your decision to refuse to pay that meant you did not get your item they would close the dispute in the sellers favour. Anything else ie higher customs fee would be for you to sort out with the seller after you received the item, albeit that would be difficult for an international transaction. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

amandasimmonds
Contributor
Contributor

I actually was willing to pay the fees BUT the correct fees.  I simply asked for assistance in getting the seller to fix the amt so the shipping company could properly charge customs.  How can the seller say the package is valued at $88 US when I purchased 1 item, a shirt for $55US?  The rest was shipping fees.  Are you saying it is correct to pay customs on shipping fees?  I included the proof of purchase in my dispute.  Shouldn't the seller be held accountable to accurately represent the cost of what I purchased?   Basically what you are saying is the seller can put any value on the item regardless of the actual cost and the buyer is forced to pay customs on the inaccurate amt the seller declares.  I just don't understand how this is legal.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@amandasimmonds 

Paypal covers you for non receipt of item or item not as described.

They don't argue a case for you with the seller about customs fees, that would be for you to sort out.

Non receipt of item cases are mostly automated, seller provides tracking that shows item delivered OR refused by the customer then seller wins.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.