Why do I need SMS verification every time I open the app, even though I've passed face ID?

Temp20240128U
New Community Member

I've already tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling it, but it's still the same. I need SMS verification every time I open the app even I didn't enable two-step verification.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_JonK

Hello @Temp20240128U

Welcome! Thank you for visiting PayPal's Community Forum. I can understand how it can be a bit frustrating having to complete verification more than expected. I believe this can be attributed to a new security directive for the EU called The Second Payment Services Directive (PSD2). In short, "It introduces two-factor authentication for online transactions, known as 'Strong Customer Authentication' (SCA). For online transactions in Europe and the UK, this extra security is coming to help keep online card purchases more secure and prevent fraud." To comply with this new standard, there is not a way to remove or disable this option. 

Apologies for any inconvenience this may present, 

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

christoph_j
New Community Member

Hi Jon K,

I believe there may be some bug here related to 'usual devices'. If we look at the documentation on the link provided it states:

Most times, we'll be able to verify your identity using the PayPal password you’ve typed and the device you're using (if it’s one of your usual devices). So, you may continue to log in to your PayPal account or pay with PayPal as usual, using your email address and your PayPal password.

This isn't currently how the app seems to be working (for me and for Temp20240128U). Currently every single login on the app requires SMS/WhatsApp/Call verification, even if only seconds apart. Meanwhile on the PC, I've not once had an SMS verification requested.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.