Seller is threatening legal action and a collections agency

nlsndog
Contributor
Contributor

Short version: PayPal resolved a dispute in my favor, now the seller is threatening me over email with her lawyer and collections.

Longer version: I paid for a service, seller kept pushing me off (I'll get back to you on Wed! On Wed - I need until Friday! On Friday - I'll get it done over the weekend!). Seller then ghosted me and I didn't hear from her for 5 days, then she ignored my emails for 4 days, then I terminated our agreement in writing and raised the case with PayPal. I offered her a small amount for whatever time she spent (I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt) and have her refund me the rest, and she refused to do that - so I escalated to PayPal and they found in my favor very quickly. Now the seller has emailed me - "I see that the Paypal situation went in your favor. You can expect to hear from a collection agency for the payment for services which were rendered. I wish you the best of luck.  This will end any communication unless it’s from collections or my attorney."

What ground does this seller have to stand on? Isn't this in some sort of violation of the seller's agreement with PayPal? I'm not communicating with her and I've blocked her email address. What should I do?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nlsndog 

The seller can take you to small claims or send you to collections due to losing a PayPal dispute. There is nothing in the PayPal user agreement or the protection programs that say seller can’t. If it does happen, you just fight it. Consult https://www.justanswer.com/law/ for legal advice.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nlsndog 

The seller can take you to small claims or send you to collections due to losing a PayPal dispute. There is nothing in the PayPal user agreement or the protection programs that say seller can’t. If it does happen, you just fight it. Consult https://www.justanswer.com/law/ for legal advice.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

nlsndog
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for this info. PayPal support also informed me "If you received any notifications from Collection agency, then write back to us along with the screenshot of the notification so that we will look into it and take necessary actions."

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.