Family member sent me money using goods and services

BrianHdez
Contributor
Contributor
A family member accidentally sent me $1200 as good & services instead of as friends & family. Now PayPal is asking for my Tax ID and trying to take 24% it looks like. How can I get this resolved? I refunded my cousin but now $1200 has been on hold for a couple weeks on my end. I try getting on call or chatting with support but either agents are offline or the PayPal assistant doesn’t connect me to anyone. I am not a small business and barely even use PayPal. It was all just a simple mistake because neither my cousin or I understand PayPal’s rules.
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@BrianHdez 

Funds should be released at 21 days as you would not be able to supply tracking to get the funds released more quickly.

Unfortunately when you issue a refund the 'fee' you were charged to receive the payment are not returned as part of that refund.

You would need to ask paypal if they will return the fee as a goodwill gesture (they do not have to as it was not their error).

Better to have just asked that in the first instance rather than refunding.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

BrianHdez
Contributor
Contributor
It’s been 33 days since I gave a refund and my money has been on hold.
Login to Me Too

ChrisMiot
Contributor
Contributor

I made a payment of $1,600 that was to reimburse a friend, however I made the mistake of sending under goods & services and now the amount is being taxed.  How can I pull the payment back and resend correctly as friends and family?

Thanks for the help. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.